Brief Program Description
This program prepares participants to work in the field of
medical administration and/or as medical office assistants. In the
Healthcare Office Assistant program, you will take courses
carefully designed to provide you with the skills and resources
necessary to be successfully employed in a variety of roles in
health care. By developing the key skills for a range of tasks, you
will be prepared for responsibilities that can arise in any medical
office, and therefore broadening your appeal to potential
- Private and Public Hospitals
- Unit Clerk
- Public Health Offices
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Medical Offices
- Specialists’ Offices
- Nursing Services (scheduling)
- Insurance companies
- Government Offices with medical related departments
- Provide the College with a transcript and a current
resume evidencing the student has graduated from Grade 12 (or
Provide the College with a current resume evidencing the student
has a minimum of five years’ work experience.
- Must complete an Admissions Interview
For International students or students whose first language is not
English, in addition to the admission requirements listed above,
the student must also meet one or more of the following language
- Provide evidence the student has completed a Test of
English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of
CBT 213 OR iBT 78;
- Provide evidence the student has completed an
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a
minimum score of 6.0
- Provide evidence the student has completed a Canadian
English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) – General
Test with a minimum score of 7.0
- Provide evidence the student has completed a Test of
English for International Communication (TOEIC) with a minimum
score of 780
- Provide evidence the student has successfully completed
grade 12 or post-secondary education in an English instructional
In addition, all International students are required to obtain a
valid study visa to complete the Program.
Upon completion of this program the successful student will
have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Perform medical office tasks, including scheduling
appointments, and documenting and maintaining medical
records, while maintaining confidentiality, managing time
effectively, showing professionalism, and being ethical.
- Apply and understand commonly used medical
- Assist physicians and prepare patients for examinations,
clinical procedures, and tests.
- Manage the input and retrieval of data using electronic
medical record software.
- Prepare bills for visits, supplementary items, and
diagnostic procedures carried out in a medical office, a
hospital, or home as dictated by the Medical Services Plan
(MSP) of British Columbia.
- Create professional medical documents, letters, and
emails that are respectful to the recipients and contain
proper paragraphs, proper sentence structure, correctly
spelled words and abbreviations, and correct grammar.
- Apply critical thinking and problem solving techniques to
resolve issues that can be found in a medical office.
- Provides person-centred care and assistance that
recognizes and respects the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicates clearly, accurately, and in sensitive ways
with clients and families within a variety of community
and facility contexts
- Interacts with other members of the healthcare team in
ways that contribute to effective working relationships
and the achievement of goals
In order to successfully graduate, students are required to:
- Complete each course/module in the program with a 70% or
- Have paid all dues (money owed) in full to the College;
800 hours (40 Weeks).
4-6 hours per course.
Indicate how the program is delivered
- In-class instruction
- Distance education
- Combined delivery (both in-class and distance)
Required course materials
- Essentials of Business Communication, 9th Edition, Mary
Ellen Guffey, Dana Loewy, Richard Almonte, ISBN-10:
017672124X, ISBN-13: 9780176721244, COPYRIGHT: 2019
- Understanding Human Behavior: A Guide for Health Care
Professionals, 9th Edition, Alyson Honeycutt Mary
Elizabeth Milliken, ISBN-10: 1305959884, ISBN-13:
9781305959880, COPYRIGHT: 2018 Published.
- Ethics of Health Care: A Guide for Clinical Practice, 4th
Edition, Raymond S. Edge, J. Randall Groves, ISBN-10:
1285854187, ISBN-13: 9781285854182, COPYRIGHT: 2018
- Introduction to Health Care, 4th Edition, Dakota Mitchell,
Lee Haroun, ISBN-10: 130557477X, ISBN-13:
9781305574779, COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published.
- Management of Health Information: Functions &
Applications, 2nd Edition, Leah Grebner Rozella Mattingly,
ISBN-10: 1285174887, ISBN-13: 9781285174884,
COPYRIGHT: 2017 Published.
- Using the Electronic Health Record in the Health Care
Provider Practice, 2nd Edition, includes Premium Website
Printed Access Card, Shirley Eichenwald Maki, Bonnie
Petterson, ISBN-10: 1111645604, ISBN-13:
9781111645601, COPYRIGHT: 2014 Published.
- Introduction to Health Care Finance and Accounting, 1st
Edition, Carlene Harrison, William P. Harrison ISBN-10:
1111308675, ISBN-13: 9781111308674, COPYRIGHT: 2013
- Administrative Medical Assisting, 8th Edition, Linda L.
French, ISBN-10: 1305859170, ISBN-13: 9781305859173,
COPYRIGHT: 2018 Published.
- Your Career: How To Make It Happen, 9th Edition, Lauri
Harwood, Lisa M.D. Owens, Crystal Kadakia, ISBN10: 1305494830, ISBN-13: 9781305494831, COPYRIGHT:
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology | 4th Edition, Betty
Davis Jones, COPYRIGHT: 2011 Published.
| Title of Course/Work Experience Component *
|| # of Hours*
| COMM101 Business Communication
| HCOA101 Introduction to Healthcare
| HCOA102 Medical Office Administration
| HCOA103 Management of Health Information
| HCOA104 Human Behavior for Health Professionals
|HCOA105 Ethics of Healthcare
|HCOA106 Electronic Healthcare Record
|HCOA107 Healthcare Finance and Accounting
|BUSN208 Business Career Development
|HCOA108 Medical Terminology
| Total Program Hours
Take the Next Step Toward a Rewarding Career
Ready to get started? Complete the form below and a Granville College Admissions Advisor will contact you to discuss your career goals, program outlines and schedules, costs and any other questions you may have.
Congratulations on taking the next step to a fulfilling professional career!